Monday, November 26, 2012

Me? A runner?

In honor of The Domestic Wannabe's Move it Monday and the anxiety of trying to squeeze back into a pair of jeans this morning after the long holiday weekend - a post about running! Hopefully it will prove to be somewhat motivational for both myself and all of you :)

I would have never ever guessed that I would become a runner. I can’t think of anything I dreaded more than the day we were timed running the mile back in elementary school. Why WHY would people choose to do this for fun?!? Yet somehow I’ve become one of those people.

I really didn’t develop this affinity for running until I was 24 so I guess I was a bit of a late bloomer. There was one summer where my friend Katie and I tried to “get in shape” and would run laps (and by run I mean we probably ran 0.1% of the time and walked/talked the other 99.9%) at the track every morning. However, these “runs” were followed by trips to Hardee’s for bacon, egg, and cheese biscuits so I’m going to go ahead and say those didn’t count.

More of the same story in college. I did work out pretty regularly, but I was strictly an elliptical/aerobics girl. No treadmills for me unless I was walking. From time to time I would attempt to run, but it was just so hard. I would usually give up after less than a minute. Some people are just not meant to run I would tell myself. I am obviously one of those people.

It wasn’t until about a year and a half after I graduated from college that I really got into running. I'd moved halfway across the country for a boy (smart right?),  and I was working at the most miserable place ever. Seriously words can't describe how awful it was, but at least I had my boyfriend. Fast forward a year or so. Bye bye boyfriend. Hello heartache.
There I was, single and stuck in Cincinnati for at least another 8 months until my lease was up. After wallowing in self pity for several weeks, I decided that something had to change or else I wouldn’t survive until October so I made the only logical decision. I signed up for culinary school (this topic requires an entirely separate post), and I signed up for a half marathon. Darn it I was going to become a runner.


Having no experience with running whatsoever, I googled different training programs, and ultimately decided on this one:

I like how is says 3 "easy" miles. Like running 3 miles is easy!

The half marathon I had signed up for was only 8 weeks away so I had to jump into the 12 week training program in week 5 (after literally never running further than a mile before in my life). It was a bit of a shock, but I survived. If anyone is considering running a half, I would definitely advise planning ahead better so you can complete the entire training program, but I made do with the time I had. Believe me, that first 7 mile run was difficult, but after feeling the sense of accomplishment of actually completing it, I was hooked. Running was just what I needed. It took up a lot of my time, cleared my mind, and gave me a long range goal. Seriously, running has to be one of the greatest things ever if you are going through a breakup.

The weather conditions were less than ideal on race day (thunder, lightening, pouring rain). I had squishy shoes and blisters the size of quarters before I’d even made it through mile 1, but I finished and lived to tell the tale. Without a doubt, one of the reasons that I’ve been so taken with running is the sense of camaraderie among all runners. Everyone is so friendly, welcoming, and motivational. If you start to struggle, there is always someone there offering words of encouragement to help you keep going.


I wasn't lying about the rain. My hair is proof. Gross.
So here I am two and a half years later...still running. I’ve completed several 5K’s, one 10K, 3 half marathons, and 1 full marathon. I’m telling you, if you’ve tried to run before but given up, get back out there and try again. It is so so worth it. I’m glad I can finally call myself a runner!

3 comments:

  1. That sounds extremely similar to my first 5k experience, except I didn't really prepare at all and got sick :( ew, right? I am a week away from completing C25k and 2 weeks from my first (prepared for) 5k! I am hoping that I get the feeling you said that you did after your first race!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will do great! Following any sort of regimented training program is definitely the way to go. It helps to go into a race actually feeling prepared. :) You will have to let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What inspiration that you started running at 24! I've heard that the earlier you start the better. I also dabbled in running in college but only on the treadmill and mostly because there was always a wait for the equipment so I needed to condence my workout to 20 mins. Here I am at 30 trying to start it up again...it's never too late!

    ReplyDelete