Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Will you accept this rose?

Every season I tell myself I'm not going to get sucked into the Bachelor yet every season I just keep coming back for more. It doesn't matter that this is Season 17 and only one, yes one, of the bachelors actually ended up marrying someone on the show - and get this. He didn't even marry the contestant he chose in the finale. He ended up breaking off their engagement on live tv none-the-less and asking for another chance with the runner-up. How messed up is that? Apparently he made the right decision though because they are now married and expecting their first child. Still not cool Jason. Not cool at all.

Back in Cincinnati my friends and I would have viewing parties on Monday nights (it makes me feel a little better about watching the show if I'm not sitting on my couch alone...with my cat) so I've decided to start weekly watch parties with my lovely KC friends. If nothing else it is a good excuse to get together, gossip, drink some wine/champagne, and be thankful that none of us are as cray-cray as the girls on this show. Thank the lord.

This week it was my turn to host the watch party so after perusing Pinterest I decided I was going to try a new recipe for Avocado Feta Dip served with pita chips. This dip was super easy to throw together after work, and I think everyone really liked it. In my opinion, as long as pita chips are involved you can't go wrong. Although you might not want to take my word for it because I have an unhealthy addiction. I fear one day you might see me on Intervention eating Stacy's pita chips out of a garbage can. Seriously. It is that bad.

Here is the recipe for the dip if you want to try it out:


Avocado Feta Dip

2 ripe avocados, diced
1 tomato, finely chopped
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
6 oz. feta cheese
1 T fresh oregano
1 T olive oil
1 T white wine vinegar

This recipe is pretty straight forward. Just chop up the avocado, tomato, onion, and garlic. Then mix together with the feta, oregano, olive oil, and vinegar. It is that simple! In my mad rush at the grocery store on Sunday I forgot to buy fresh oregano so I had to settle for dried oregano (I only used 1/2 T and I think that was plenty). I also only bought a 4 oz. container of feta, but that seemed to work just fine as well.

If you know me at all, then you obviously know I would never dream of hosting a get-together without serving dessert. I had to be in Lawrence by 4:00 p.m. on Sunday to watch my baby sis perform her dance team nationals routines (Rock Chalk!), and didn't end up making it to the grocery until an hour or so before that so I cheated slightly. I might have picked up store-bought sugar cookies. Don't judge me. I did however use my new mixer to make buttercream frosting from scratch, and threw together these rose cookies pretty quickly.

Not the prettiest things I've ever made, but they worked!

Finally, what Bachelor watch party is complete without a little bubbly?!? I picked up a bottle of Spumante and some raspberries, and put my champagne flutes to good use since I didn't have a chance to whip them out on NYE.



I love entertaining, but it is a little tricky in my one bedroom apartment. Hopefully (if everything works out) I will have a house to host parties at in the coming months (fingers crossed I can find something I like that is actually within my price range). I'm looking at my first house tomorrow evening, but I will have to have an entirely separate post about that later! All in all I think I had a pretty good spread at my first Kansas City Bachelor watch party. Hopefully my friends enjoyed themselves as much as I did!



Until next week (when I will probably change my mind), TEAM DESIREE! 

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fabulous little watch party! I can't stand the show though. I've only watched two seasons, the first, and the season when a girl from my sorority was on it. Otherwise in general it drives me up the wall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. J-Do I wish I lived in KC so I could come to your watch parties! I also have a love/hate relationship with this show. It's so bad, but I can't stop watching...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once I get a house you should totally move to KC and come be my roommate J-Co! :) Until then you are more than welcome to make the trip from Top City for Monday night watch parties!

    Ashley, be glad you aren't addicted. It is really quite pathetic!

    ReplyDelete