Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Goodbye Cake. Goodbye Cookies. Goodbye Fun.

Lets get one thing straight. I'm not Catholic, but every year I attempt to give up something for Lent. Three years ago I tried to give up soda, and I think I made it a grand total of 15 days. A night out with some new friends in Cincinnati required me to drink Diet Coke because it was the only readily available mixer, and obviously I'm not hardcore enough to drink straight up liquor. Two years ago I gave up fast food, and actually made it the whole time which is pretty impressive considering I eat an ice cream cone from McDonald's at least once a week. Last year I attempted to take it up a notch and give up all sweets. I only made it three days before I cheated. Dang those Otis Spunkmeyer cookies in the cafeteria at work. 

This year I'm trying it again. Only this year I've got some moral reinforcement. I've convinced my friend Alex to do it with me so hopefully we can keep each other on the straight and narrow.

Bye bye all things delicious.




What Isn't Allowed

  • cake
  • cupcakes
  • cookies
  • ice cream
  • frozen yogurt
  • candy
  • chocolate
  • donuts
  • scones
  • muffins
  • pie
  • pastries
  • granola/protein/fiber bars covered in chocolate
  • super sweet cereals
  • any latte that isn't sugar free and/or has whipped cream

So what is allowed? Basically nothing. At least that is how it seems! We decided that we were going to allow ourselves to have cereal as long as it wasn't overloaded with sugar so Special K and Cheerios are okay. We are also allowing ourselves to have diet soda, diet hot chocolate, hot tea with honey, and gum. I cannot live without gum.

Some people say that Sundays are excluded from Lent meaning that I could have one "cheat" day a week on Sunday since this is a day of celebration in the Christian church. However, I know myself. If I allow myself to have sweets even one day a week this will open up a flood gate quickly leading to a downward spiral and complete and utter failure. Listen to me. I sound like an alcoholic. 

So for me I am going to attempt to go the full 46 days without any sort of sweets. Wish me luck. I'm definitely going to need it!

Also, I feel like I need to confess to you all that I just ate a piece of Valentine's Day Funfetti cake for dinner as my last meal. Lets hope it satisfies my sweet tooth for the next 46 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment