Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Baked Apple Apple Pies


Cory's birthday was during vacation a few weeks ago and I felt bad I couldn't bake him anything, but alas there was no kitchen available for personal use at the Waldorf. #firstworldproblems. Don't worry. We were both too full for dessert the night of his birthday so I made him light his cigar with a birthday candle, and suffer through me singing Happy Birthday so he could blow out a candle and make a wish. Hey. We had to improvise.

Fortunately, he was back in Kansas the following weekend so I had a chance to redeem myself with these baked apple apple pies. You guys. These things were yummy, and I felt a little less guilty eating this than a giant slice of cake. Don't worry though. I loaded mine up with ice cream. I can't be too healthy. Here is what you will need to make these when you decide you need them. Because you will.

Baked Apple Apple Pies
serves 4

5-6 Granny Smith apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
pie crust (homemade or pre-made)

Optional (but not really):
vanilla ice cream

First things first. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Next cut the top off of 4 apples. Remove the inside of each apple with a spoon or melon baller. Be sure not to puncture the peel. I highly suggest using a melon baller. I don't own one so I used a knife and spoon, and it was touch and go there for awhile on whether I would make it out with all my fingers in tact.

Now it's time to move onto the filling. If you are good at hollowing apples you can use the inside for the filling. If not, use those other 2 apples you bought. Remove skin from remaining apple, and slice very thin. Mix sliced apples with sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. You can add more or less sugar and cinnamon to taste. I opted for a little more brown sugar :) Scoop filling into the hollowed apples.

If you bought pre-made pie crust (which I did), this next part is easy. Roll out and slice into 1/4 inch strips. Cover the top of the apple in a lattice pattern or any other way you so choose.


Place apples in an 8 x 8 in pan, and add enough water to cover the bottom of the pan. Cover with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes or until crust is golden brown.


Remove from oven and serve immediately. I put mine in a bowl with a big ol' scoop of Edy's Slow Churned Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, and it was to die for! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment