Monday, March 17, 2014

It's Time to Start Running Again...


So I took a brief...ok several month...well actually now that I'm thinking about it, half year, hiatus from running because my knees were bothering me so much. It got to the point where I could barely even walk down a flight of stairs it hurt so bad. Of course I didn't go to the doctor so I'm not sure what the actual problem was, but after attempting (and failing) to train for the Kansas City Half Marathon I decided it might be best to stop running for awhile. It was actually perfect timing because this winter has been horrible, and I'm such a baby about running outside in cold weather.

Now that the weather is getting a little warmer (although it was 70 on Saturday and I woke up to snow yesterday morning. Dumb Kansas), I think it's time to start running again.


Cory and I are signed up for the Cooper River Bridge Run 10K on April 5th so I suppose I should have been training for awhile now. I think I've come to the conclusion that this race will not be a personal best, and I will most likely be much, much slower than I was last June. The few times I have "ran" in the last few months, I did a lot of run/walking and was around a 9:30-10:00 min/mile so I'm just hoping to finish this race in an hour. Fingers crossed. Hopefully some of Cory's speed will rub off on me haha! :)

I feel like I need to follow the last bit of training program for the next 3 weeks so I can hold myself accountable. Does anyone have a favorite 10K training program they love? I've always used Hal Higdon programs so I thought I might try the 10K Intermediate Program, but if anyone has any other suggestions they would be much appreciated! Are you training for any races right now? I'd love to hear which ones and how your training is going!

4 comments:

  1. I find that even with a break, your body kicks into drive and remembers how to run. I think if you do 3-4 mile runs during the week and 5-6 mile runs on the weekend you'll be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that sounds like a good plan! I just wish the weather would warm up here so I didn't have to run on the treadmill :)

      Delete
  2. Good thing it's a 10k and not a half-marathon! I'm sure you'll be fine since you've run longer distances than a 10k before. I'm behind with my training as well. It is just so hard to stick with it over the winter with or without injuries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh no kidding! I don't think I would be running if it was a half! :) Running on the treadmill is just so dreadfully boring!

      Delete