Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Kitty Cat Cupcakes

If you follow me on Pinterest then you've probably seen the hundreds of Halloween things I've been pinning the last few weeks. I finally had some free time yesterday morning (and we happened to be celebrating my sister's birthday today) so I got to try out some new treats!


In case you aren't aware (which I'm not sure how you couldn't be), I'm a self proclaimed cat lady, as is my mother...and my middle sister...and my younger sister. I guess you could say it runs in the family. Of course when I saw these Black Cat Cupcakes from Better Homes and Gardens I knew I had to recreate them. Side note - if you don't get the daily emails from BHG sign up now. Seriously. What are you waiting for?! They're great.

I did a lot of baking on Thursday night so I took the easy route and opted for boxed chocolate cake mix and store bought chocolate frosting for these cupcakes. After all, the pizazz is in the decorating. Here is what you'll need if you want to make these cute cats:

  • Chocolate Jimmies
  • Milk chocolate candy melts (I got mine at Hobby Lobby)
  • Dots
  • Peanut butter chips
  • Black Pull n' Peel Licorice or black frosting
After you've frosted your cupcake, start by applying a generous amount of chocolate sprinkles to the top of the cupcake (enough so that it resembles fur). I found the best method was to pour the sprinkles in a bowl and gently dip/roll the cupcake


Next it's time to give this little kitty cat some ears. Cut milk chocolate candy melts into triangles so they resemble ears, and gently press into cupcake.

Bonus! Look at all these chocolate scraps you can munch on :)
For the eyes I used yellow and green Dots, but any gumdrop will do. Unfortunately the box of Dots I happened to pick up was severely lacking in the yellow and green department so I had to make each Dot into three individual eyes which made some of them a little smaller and rounder than others, but I think that gave the cats character. For the pupils, I alternated between using chocolate sprinkles and piping round pupils with black frosting. I think the cats with sprinkles for eyes looked a little evil so the piped eyes were much friendlier looking. Make sure to put a dab of chocolate frosting on the back of the eye so that it actually sticks to the cupcake.


For the little kitty nose I used peanut butter chips. If PB isn't your thing, butterscotch chips would also work. Again, attach to cupcake with a little dab of chocolate frosting. Next pipe on whiskers with black frosting or attach black licorice. Good luck with the licorice. I went to three different stores and couldn't find it anywhere. Oh well. Frosting tastes better anyways. :)

And there you have it - cute black cat cupcakes. Easy enough right? Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment