Friday, October 18, 2013

Mini Oatmeal Pumpkin Creme Pies

You guys. I've been bitten by the pumpkin bug hard. I can't get enough pumpkin flavored coffee, waffles, cookies, bread, you name it. I want it. I made these little guys last year (prior to starting the blog) so I thought I would make them again for a pumpkin carving party I'm going to later this evening. Yes, my friends and I are 27 and 28 year olds who still carve pumpkins every year. Holidays aren't just for children. Duh. Of course there will be adult beverages there as well. Let's just hope none of us lose a finger. Now that I think about it, as accident prone as I am, maybe I should only draw my design on my pumpkin and leave the actual carving to someone else, but I've digressed.


Back to these cute, little, itty bitty oatmeal pumpkin creme pies. I just had to share this recipe with you all. Fair warning - these things are tasty. It's nearly impossible to stop after just one...but they're mini so it's okay right? You can have at least three. At least that's what I'm telling myself. :)


Mini Oatmeal Pumpkin Creme Pies

Mini Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 large egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 and 2/3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup all-purpose flour



Pumpkin Creme

4 oz cream cheese, softened to room temperature
2 T unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour (as needed)

Let's start with the cookies. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. In a mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla, mixing well after each. Slowly stir in baking soda, cinnamon, oats, and flour. Mix until just combined.

Now you should probably chill the dough for about an hour, but I was pressed for time last night seeing as I didn't start making these until 8:30, and I have a non-negotiable 10:00 p.m. bedtime because I'm a grandma like that. I popped the dough in the freezer for maybe 15 min, and I think they turned out just fine. Not too flat at all, but if you want to follow the rules, chill for an hour.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and roll 1 tablespoon of dough into a ball and place on prepared sheet. Bake for 9 minutes and let cool on cookie sheet for a minute or two before transferring to a wire cooling rack.

While the cookies are cooling, it's time to prepare the pumpkin creme. Mix the cream cheese, butter, pumpkin and spices until creamy. You can substitute 3/4 pumpkin pie spice for the ginger, clove, and nutmeg if you have it on hand. Add powdered sugar. If creme is too thin, add flour to thicken.


Time to assemble! Spread a generous portion of creme on the underside of a cooled cookie and sandwich another on top. That's it! Get ready to be wowed! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment