Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Pad Thai

I've had a love affair with pad thai for awhile now. I used to get take out from Zen Zero at least once a week when I was in college, but until Sunday I had never tried to make it myself, and you know what guys? It was super easy!
Pad Thai with Chicken
adapted from Sandra Lee's recipe

2-3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
16-ounce package rice noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large eggs, beaten
1 T brown sugar
3 T soy sauce
1 T fish sauce
1 T chile sauce
1 T lime juice
1 T chopped garlic
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 carrot, grated
4 scallions, sliced thin
2 cups bean sprouts (I omitted these)
1/4 cup peanuts, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped

First things first - raw meat freaks me out. I don't like the look of it. I don't like the smell of it. I especially don't like the feel of it so anytime I make something that calls for meat, I start by delegating this task. Usually my dad is the lucky candidate, and Sunday was no different. While I did all the prep work in the kitchen, my dad tossed some chicken breasts on the grill because he's awesome like that.

Meanwhile back in the kitchen, bring a large pot of water to a boil and then turn off the heat. Add the rice noodles, and let them soften for approximately 2-3 minutes. I know. They cook fast. I would also suggest maybe tossing a little olive oil into the water because I had some issues with my noodles sticking together. Drain and set aside.

In a large skillet (if you are fancy and own a wok, use that. I obviously am not married yet so I don't have all the fun, fancy kitchen tools some of you own), add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Once it's hot, add the beaten eggs and cook until they are firm. Remove from the pan and roughly chop. Set aside.

In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, soy sauce, fish sauce, chile sauce, lime juice, garlic, and chicken broth. I ended up doubling the amounts called for above for all the previously mentioned ingredients because I didn't seem to have enough liquid to cover the noodles and the chicken later on so if you are having the same issue, try that. Set aside.

At this point hopefully your sous chef with have completed the chicken. :) Chop into quarter inch cubes, and set aside. Add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet along with the carrots, scallions, and bean sprouts (if you are using them. I personally can't stand them. Thank goodness Jimmy Johns got rid of them and replaced them with onions. Smart choice JJ. Smart choice).  Stir fry 1 minute. Add the eggs, chicken, and sauce you previously set aside, stirring to coat everything. Cook for another minute. Garnish with peanuts and cilantro, and enjoy!

One step closer to checking off another item on my list of 28 Things Before 28. Only 5 more recipes to go!


No comments:

Post a Comment