Friday, December 14, 2012

28 Things Before 28

When I was younger I used to think being 20 sounded so old. 25? That was basically middle aged. At 25, I thought I would have the world figured out. I would most definitely be married. I would have at least one kid (a girl, Mackenzie) and possibly a second (another girl, Kennedy). Your guess is as good as mine as to why those were my names of choice back then, but nonetheless I would be a grown up. 


Theta Bid Day Party 2005: Theme - Where You'll be in 10 Years.
This. Picture. Is. Terrifying.

Yet here I am turning 27 today, and I still feel like a little kid. When I'm sick, I call my mom to come take care of me. When something breaks or I need career advice, I have my dad on speed dial. When I go into a liquor store to buy Skinnygirl Margs I still get nervous because I feel like I shouldn't be old enough to buy alcohol. No joke. It also probably doesn't help that I look like a 12 year old, but that is beside the point...




Today I am 27. Am I married? No. Do I have kids? Absolutely not. Maybe my life hasn't played out like my 10 year old self had planned, but you know what? I'm totally fine with that...even happy that it hasn't! I am still much too self-centered to be married, let alone provide for a family (taking care of my cat is all the responsibility I need thank you very much). So in honor of my 27th birthday I am compiling a list of 28 things I want to do for me before I turn 28. 


  1. buy a DSLR camera and take photography lessons
  2. run 1,000 miles - might have done this in 2012 but didn't keep track
  3. find a church to attend
  4. go to a movie by myself - completed 1/20/13. Went and saw Les Miserables all by myself
  5. learn to ski - completed 2/23/13. Skiied at Snow Creek in Weston, MO
  6. make a budget that I actually stick to so I can save more money for a house - completed 2/14/13. Bought my first house and closed March 21st!
  7. read 8 new novels - (1) The Middle Place by Kelly Corrigan, (2) The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein, (3) Little Bee by Chris Cleave, (4) Brave New World by Aldous Huxley, (5) Someone Could Get Hurt by Drew Magary, (6) Let's Pretend This Never Happened by Jenny Lawson, (7) The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff, (8) Wild by Cheryl Strayed, (9) Power Moves by Karl Welzein, (10) The Double Bind by Chris Bohjalian
  8. take the GMAT
  9. try 10 new restaurants - (1) Room 39, (2) The Majestic, (3) Brewbakers, (4) Salsa Grill, (5) Avelluto's, (6) The Beacon, (7) Chez Elle, (8) The Farmhouse, (9) Nara, (10) The Filling Station..and many more. I've been an overachiever with this one for sure. Of course...the goal with the food.
  10. try 12 new recipes - (1) Chocolate Ganache, (2) Avocado Feta Dip, (3) Tomato Basil Soup, (4) Pineapple Lemonade Sangria, (5) Buffalo Chicken Enchiladas, (6) Blueberry Muffins, (7) Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes, (8) Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball, (8) Funfetti Cookie Cake
  11. run a half marathon and beat my PR (1.56.28) OR run a full marathon and beat my PR (3:56:22) - Ran Rock the Parkway half marathon on 4/13/13 and finished in 1.48.59
  12. complete a 365 photo a day challenge - completed 4/30/13
  13. avoid fast food for an entire month - completed February 2012.
  14. sing karaoke
  15. take a trip to a state I’ve never been to
  16. attempt to eat a Paleolithic or vegetarian (haven't decided which) diet for an entire month
  17. learn to french braid
  18. celebrate three unusual holidays - National Taco Day 10/4/13,
  19. host a girl’s night every other month - Bachelorette watch party in January, Housewarming party in April,
  20. only use reusable grocery bags
  21. make my bed every day for a month - completed March 2013
  22. get a promotion - completed 5/2/13
  23. take a spinning class
  24. buy a KitchenAid stand mixer - completed 12/26/12
  25. send snail mail to one family member or friend each month - thank you note to Molly in January,
  26. learn to knit
  27. floss every other day
  28. conquer my biggest fear - hold a snake
  29. learn to shoot a gun

You will notice there are actually 29 things on the list. This is because I'm OCD and I will be super annoyed with myself if I only make it through #27, but I seriously do not know if I can complete #28. Snakes TERRIFY me...just ask my sisters or my friend, Marina. They used to hide plastic snakes in my shoes that would send me into hysterics. Even thinking about those creepy little things gives me the shivers.

So I'm off! I've got exactly one year to complete 28 (maybe 29) things before my 28th birthday. 

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. You should be able to cross off #14 and #15 if us singing wicked duets counts as karaoke (it does...we got an encore:).

    ReplyDelete