Monday, December 17, 2012

The Greatest Workout EVER

Well what started out as a fabulous birthday weekend drastically took a turn for the worst when I was dumped on Saturday night just 20 short hours after my birthday. Cue the T. Swift breakup songs. Ironically I was watching Cinderella when it happened, but I won't get into that. Happily ever after my arse. 

Anyways, all the more reason to hit Move it Monday full force right?!? Let's talk about the fabulous beginning to my 27th birthday weekend, and not the part I'm trying to forget!

On Thursday night I dragged my friends, Alex and Mandy, to a new indoor trampoline park that just opened near my apartment for a little pre-birthday celebration. This place was ah-maze-ing. If you live in KC then you MUST check out Sky Zone. Seriously. No excuses. 

This place rocks. Except for the fact that you have to wear shoes that
absolutely give you cankles, but I'll get to that...

We decided to attend an hour-long Sky Robics class, and let me tell you, this class was INTENSE. The website says you can burn up to 1,000 calories an hour, and that might not be an exaggeration.

Pre-workout...before I was a sweaty mess.

The first class you attend is only $6 (regularly $12), and it was worth every penny. You are forced to wear these horrid shoes that I swear no matter how skinny your legs are will make you look like you have little sausages for ankles.



The class starts with a "warm-up" which is about 5 minutes of bouncing forward and backward and side to side. Jumping jacks. Squat jumps. You name it. We did it. After the "warm-up" I was already winded, and I'm pretty sure my friends wanted to murder me. Luckily they were troopers and toughed it out for the remainder of the class.

After the warm-up we separated into groups of 4 (we only had 3 so the instructor who I swear was 12 years old joined our group which meant no slacking off) for about 30 minutes of circuits with 5 different rotations. The first was rouncing, which I would best describe as a galloping bounce. From there you moved to wall climbs. You literally had to run up a trampoline wall which was easier said then done. Then there were squats with a medicine ball bounce, walk out planks to push ups, and squat jumps. If that wasn't hard enough, next we moved to the foam pit.

If you've ever done gymnastics then I'm sure you are familiar with the foam pit. It was always the greatest part. It was the fun part, but boy was this the opposite of fun. We divided into 3 groups. The first group had to hop into the foam pit while the second group hit the trampolines for jumping jacks, and the third group was allowed to rest. The foam pit is where the torture happened. You had to run as fast as you could in a circle without touching the sides. Did I mention this was in a foam pit? Impossible. (I wish I would have gotten a picture. Maybe next time) Apparently there is some technique to it because the second time I acted like I was jumping hurdles, and it was much easier. I still thought my heart was going to explode, but it was definitely a work out!

We ended the class with about 10 minutes of core exercises which was so nice. Don't get me wrong. It was still challenging, but it was easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy compared to that foam pit. The good news is we all survived, and I'm here to tell the tale!

This class was definitely a nice change from my usual running/Lifetime group fitness routine, and I will definitely be back to attend other Sky Robics classes in the future. I need to be in tiptop shape for all those new male suitors knocking down my door ;) hah! Who wants to go with me??

5 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun and a definite workout for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had such a blast going! I'll always try new workouts with you, no matter how much I want to push you over because you execute everything perfectly ;-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha those shoes were TERRIBLE!!! It was worth it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a Sky Zone in the Twin Cities but it's always advertized as a place for kids, I'll have to see if ours has an exercise class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should definitely check it out! Even if they don't have a class it would be fun to just go bounce around (and it would still be a great workout)! :)

    ReplyDelete