Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Thing(s) I'm Most Afraid Of


Today's topic: The Thing(s) You're Most Afraid Of

Well obviously no post that discusses my fears would be complete without touching on my intense fear of snakes. I know I've probably mentioned this in at least three other blog posts, but I just really cannot stress enough how scared I am of those slithery little creatures...not just real live snakes either. I won't go near a plastic snake, and if a picture of one pops up on my Instagram feed you better believe I'm chucking my phone across the room (and probably unfollowing whoever posted it. Don't take it personally). I'm shivering just thinking about it! Since everyone (and by everyone I mean all 7 of you that read my blog on a daily basis) is well aware of this particular fear I thought I would touch on a few more (some rational and some completely irrational):

  • chipping my teeth - maybe this is slightly irrational, but then again, based on how clumsy I am there is a good chance that this could eventually happen. Every single time I'm going up any sort of stairs a vivid image of tripping and knocking out my teeth out flashes through my mind. Doesn't matter if it is two little steps or three flights of concrete stairs like the ones at my old apartment. Terrifying.
  • making mistakes and failing - this is probably the perfectionist in me, but I'm scared of doing anything where there is a chance to make mistakes and fail. Even though I've been out of school for 5 years I still have nightmares about being mistakenly enrolled in a class and failing because I never even attended. Clearly this fear is an issue since making mistakes and learning from them is an essential part of growing as a person, in your career, etc. Good thing I'm always perfect and succeed 100% of the time. Kidding...sort of...time to be a little bit more of a risk taker.
  • being alone - I'm not talking about being home alone at night. I lived by myself for 3 years after college and absolutely loved every minute. What I'm talking about is never finding "the one" and being alone forever (with 9 cats). Irrational? Maybe, but I'm sure not getting any younger!
  • wooden Popsicle sticks - ewwww! The thought of touching the wood gives me goosebumps. Whenever I eat Popsicles I have to wrap the plastic wrapper around the stick so I make sure my hand doesn't touch the wood. Why can't they just make them plastic already??
  • talking on the phone - every since I can remember I've always hated talking on the phone. I used to beg my mom and dad to order pizza on Friday nights back in elementary/middle school, and they would always refuse unless I called and ordered it myself. Guess who never had pizza for dinner on a Friday night? This girl. I'm 100% guilty of screening my calls 98% of the time unless I'm fully prepared for the impending conversation. Thank goodness for caller id, cell phones, and text messaging. When I do have to make a phone call I rehearse the conversation over and over in my head at least three times and cross my fingers I will get their voicemail. I'm psycho. I know. 
  • being late - so much so that I'm almost always 15 minutes early to wherever I'm going. If I'm not in the parking lot at work by 7:55 I start to have severe anxiety (even though I'm salaried and I'm pretty sure no one would even notice if I was 10 minutes late). Usually I end up killing time in a parking lot nearby if I'm going to a party or event so I'm not embarrassingly early.

I could probably keep going, but I'm sure you all think I'm completely neurotic now so I'll stop while I maybe have a little bit of dignity left. Does anyone else have any weird irrational fears like me? Please humor me and say yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment