Tuesday, September 17, 2013

one of my most favorite dates ever

Getting back into the swing of things after a few days off work is proving to be harder than I thought. I made it to the gym before work this morning, but also managed to forget shower sandals, hair conditioner, and a bra. Fail. Right now I'd like to relive any one of the many moments of my mini vacay as I sit on the couch after an extremely long day of work, but tonight you all are in for a treat. For today's Blogtember topic (a memory I'd love to relive), I'm going to share all the juicy details from what I consider to be one of my most favorite dates ever.

Now my man friend and I have a very unique situation. We've never lived in the same state since we met so some of our "dates" have been rather interesting. Technically we went to Walmart on our second date. How romantic right? I guess I can forgive him for that one though after this weekend. :)

Even though my hair and the humidity clearly don't get along, I'd say we clean up rather nicely.
After a day at the beach, C and I got all cleaned up and headed downtown. He'd made dinner reservations a few weeks prior, but kept the location a secret. Apparently the restaurant was quite popular (and also happened to be participating in Charleston Restaurant Week) so our reservations weren't until 10:00 p.m. which provided ample time for a little bar hopping beforehand.

We started the night at The Rooftop Bar at Vendue Inn. If you ever find yourself in Charleston, you must go here (preferably at sunset). This place has some of the most spectacular, breathtakingly beautiful views of Charleston. I promise you won't be disappointed. For our next drink we moved across the street to The Griffon. This place was quite the change from The Rooftop Bar (think English pub). It was voted one of the "Best Bars in the South" by Southern Living in February, and was a perfect place to cozy up in a dark corner with a beer.

After the Griffon, C informed me it was time to move closer to where we were actually having dinner so we headed out, although it was quite a slow go. Another pointer - as much as it pains me to say this, pass on the heels in Charleston if you are going to be walking a lot. The sidewalks are like minefields in stilettos, or maybe I'm just terribly clumsy (probably a combination of the two). Before we made it to our final destination, C had one more surprise up his sleeve. Months ago he posted a photo on Instragram joking that Philadelphia Alley was the "prime make out spot" in Charleston. Now I've never claimed to be much of a drinker so I was feeling slightly giggly after my two drinks and didn't even realize C had led me on a little detour right into Philadelphia Alley. Whether or not it's the prime make out spot in Charleston is a call I'll let you make should you ever find yourself there. If I had to vote, I'd say it's up there for sure. ;)

After our little stop, C and I finally reached Husk. We were still a little early for our reservation so we grabbed another cocktail at The Bar at Husk. I ordered the Charleston Light Dragoon's Punch which was California brandy, Jamaican rum, peach brandy, black tea, lemon juice, and raw sugar. It was ah-maze-ing. I can't remember what C's first drink was, but I know he ordered the No Whey, Jose? which I just couldn't stomach. I usually love tequila, but apparently I can't take it when it's jalapeno muddled with Si Senor, whey, Chocolat Royal, and mole bitters.

Finally it was time for some dinner. Husk offered 3 courses for $40 from a menu that changes daily. Executive chef Sean Brock's rule is "if it doesn't come from the South, it's not coming through the door." I let C do all the ordering and his choices and the food did not disappoint. For our first entrees we had Kentuckyaki glazed pig ear lettuce wraps, salt "fermented" cucumbers and peppers, shaved onion, benne, and the TN cheddar pimento cheese, crispy country ham, and grilled bread. The cheese and carbs were my favorite obviously.



For C's second course he had slow cooked Heritage pork, smoky beans with Carolina gold rice, red Russian kale, and Appalachian tomato gravy. My second course was Keegan-Filion Farms chicken, Anson Mills farro, sweet peas, marinated heirloom tomatoes, and arugula pesto. Again, the food was fab. Finally it was time for dessert. We had the buttermilk pie with macerated SC peaches and whipped sweet cream and the NC Mountain apple crisp with pecan-oat crumble and whipped creme fraiche. The apple crisp was to die for. It took a lot of restraint not to lick the plate clean.


After dinner we waddled our way out of the restaurant and decided to make one more stop at the Market Pavilion Bar before heading home. Yet another amazing rooftop space. Why is Charleston so spectacular?!

Outside of Husk (post-feast)

After I stumbled around in heels for most of the night C decided we should end the night with a ride home in a pedicab so I could see a bit more of historic Charleston. It was a perfect end to the perfect evening...and so much more romantic than Walmart!


1 comment: