Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Where I Come From

Most things in life come fairly easy to me. Forgive me if that sounds completely narcissistic and braggy, but I can usually handle just about anything thrown at me...everything that is besides expressing my feelings, talking about my feelings, and most specifically, sharing my feelings with loved ones. Ask me how I feel about someone, and I immediately clam up. It's like I forget how to speak. I'm a stuttering, bashful mess. I really struggle with this so when I looked at the list of Blogtember topics I knew it was going to be a rough go for me, but hey, this whole thing is about learning and growing as person right?! I'm going to give it my best shot. Plus it's much easier to write these things than to speak them out loud to another human being so I can do this. Did you like that little pep talk I just gave myself? The first topic is describe where or what you come from - the people, the places, and/or the factors that make up who you are. Here goes...

I come from the Midwest. I was born in St. Louis, and raised in Kansas so I like to think I have good ol' Midwestern values. I'm hard working, honest, loving, helpful and truly value my friends and family.

Very rarely did we take a picture where all three of us
were actually smiling and happy. Drama drama drama.
I come from a father who would do anything to provide for his family. I don't think there's anything he doesn't know how to do or couldn't figure out in an afternoon's time. He is so incredibly smart, extremely handy, and the most even tempered person I've ever met. Although he might not come right out and say it (he struggles to share his feelings much like myself - like father like daughter I guess), I know my dad loves my mom, sisters, and me more than anything. The poor guy has been surrounded by females for the last 30 or so years so he is basically a saint in my eyes.

I come from the most selfless, loving mother ever. She stayed at home to raise us, and never once denied my sisters or I an opportunity. It simply wasn't an option. My mom would do everything under the sun to make sure we are safe, healthy, and happy. Even though we give her a hard time (she's a speech therapist who mispronounces things constantly and in my opinion, on purpose. I think I've told her how to pronounce Chipotle and Pinterest at least 87 times), life as I know it simply wouldn't be the same without her. She is the glue that keeps our family together, and the ring master in our crazy circus of a family.


I come from a family with three daughters. Sometimes we get along great. Other times we fight like cats and dogs. When we were younger there was probably a 95% chance two of us were ganging up on the other one. Now that we're a bit older (and live in different cities) we get along much, much better since we can't "borrow" each other's clothes (without asking). Even though we fight from time to time and drive each other crazy, I love my sisters and wouldn't be the person I am today without them.

I come from a home full of pets. In any given year there were at least half a dozen cats/dogs/hamsters/rabbits/frogs running around. It was like living on a farm without actually living in the country. My mom never denied us a pet (even if we had to buy them while my dad was away on business trips and hide them in the guest bathroom for a few weeks). He's a big softy and always warmed up to the idea of them anyways. Like I said before, he's a saint.


I come from a family big on traditions. Holidays were celebrated to the extreme. My mom and dad once rented ponies (Salt and Pepper) to surprise my sister, Mandy, on her birthday since she was really into horses. I may or may not have spoiled the surprise. I think my mom figured it out pretty easily when Mandy refused to come inside and just stood at the top of our driveway anxiously awaiting their arrival. Who can expect an elementary school child to keep a secret like that?? To this day, my sisters and I still decorate eggs at Easter, take one zillion pictures with sparklers at Fourth of July, and decorate gingerbread houses at Christmas. We're all about the traditions in this family.

I come from parents who realized the importance of travel in my sisters and my development. We went on vacation nearly ever year (usually to different beaches), but we also made the trek out West a few times to visit all the national parks. Being given the opportunity to travel to different parts of the country (and world) has definitely influenced who I am today.

And that my friends, is a brief glimpse into where I come from. My grandparents and friends also played a huge role in my upbringing, but before I write a 350 page novel I'll stop myself. Hopefully if all goes according to plan I'll be back here again tomorrow with my response to the next topic - if you could take three months off from your current life and do anything in the world, what would you do? Get excited.


2 comments:

  1. How cute that your parents rented ponies. My family how did birthdays big and were big on certain traditions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having family traditions. It makes holidays so much more fun even when you are older :)

    ReplyDelete